20 June 2006

Don't believe in God? Go to Yosemite.


I had the amazing opportunity to see Yosemite National Park last weekend, and even got into a campsite, which is nearly impossible during the summer months. I went with a friend from school, and we had the most incredible time. Driving there from the Bay Area, the drive alone had stunning views, from driving east through the mountains of the East Bay, to the seemingly desolate yet fertile flatness of the San Joaquin Valley, to the foothills of the wooded and rocky Sierra Nevada.

After entering the park, the views got better and better. The massive rock structures, the green valley, and enourmous waterfalls really take your breath away. After a hike, we made it to the top of Sentinel Dome, giving us a 360 degree view of the entire park, elevation 8,122 ft. I was in awe. Looking out on the huge rock of Half Dome, carved by a glacier many years ago, I couldn't even fathom how things like this are formed. The melting snowcapped peaks of the mountains in the distance led to the most amazing waterfalls I've ever seen, and even felt, as the next day we hiked to the top of Vernal Falls, getting soaked from the mist along the hike. At night, after turning out the lantern and letting the campfire settle, we looked up to the sky, only to see the most incomprehensible view of stars I've ever seen in my life.



So, looking at what I've mentioned--huge mountainous rock formations, roaring waterfalls, an astonishing amount of stars--everything was on a huge scale. At first, it made me feel so small, so insignificant. What was so special about my little life?

Searching for some sort of answer, my friend directed me to Psalm 104--Praise of God the Creator. Go look it up. My heart was moved, hearing this Psalm on top of Sentinel Dome, looking out. I'll highlight this verse:
"All of these look to you to give them food in due time. When you give to them, they gather; when you open your hand, they are filled." Psalm 104:27-28

My feeling of insignificance suddenly changed. Looking out on Half Dome and Upper Yosemite Falls, I realized that I was special. Yeah, I know that sounds really weird/strange/corny, but I'm serious. My God gave me this amazing Creation. It is His gift to His people, this amazing world we live in, this amazing life we live. He has given this to us, and so we gather to Him, and He fills us with life.

In short, I don't see how anyone could look from Sentinel Dome, Glacier Point, the top of Vernal Falls, Yosemite Valley, anywhere in the Park--and look out at the beauty contained in Yosemite and think all of it was created by chance. The intricacies of nature, both living and non-living, are so complex, it's far beyond the comprehension of us mere humans--maybe because it's the work of the Divine.

"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely, or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature, and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature."
~Anne Frank

No comments: