30 May 2010

"I have the deck."

I'm happy to report that on Friday, I met one of the biggest milestones of my Naval career as a Surface Warfare Officer. I am now a qualified "Officer of the Deck" Underway. The Officer of the Deck is the eyes and ears of the Captain in the Pilothouse (aka the Bridge) for safe and swift navigation of the ship and execution of the ship's schedule and routine.

The officer of the deck (OOD) occupies a unique position in a naval ship. Nowhere in military or civilian life is there a parallel to the range and degree of responsibility that is placed in the hands of the OOD. As a direct representative of the Captain, he or she acts with all the authority of command and, next to the Captain and Executive Officer (XO), is the most important person in the ship. Qualification as OOD is the cornerstone of professional growth for a surface line officer and the most critical milestone of the Surface Warfare Qualification. (Watch Officer's Guide)

Following a four years of preparation in college and the past year experiencing different evolutions, I was offered to have a qualification board with the Captain, XO, and Department Heads of the ship to earn my qual. After a lot of studying and two practice boards (aka "murder boards") I went into my final board and passed! It gave me a great boost of confidence and excitement. And yet, it is also a great burden--knowing the responsibility which lies in my hands during my watch. Luckily, I am surrounded by fellow officers who will continue to train me and help me through these first few weeks of being qualified. All of this, both my recent qualification and my very status as a Naval officer, is an honor I am unworthy of and try to live up to each day.

When we turnover the watch, there's a formal process of passing down information and a professional military turnover, with salutes and statements of relieving the watch. Standing watch as the OOD is known as "having the deck." I wish I could tell you what it's like to utter those words, especially for the first time, "Attention in the Pilothouse...I have the deck."

Praised be Jesus Christ for carrying me to this milestone. All glory and honor belong to Him--for this is His work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog and i really appreciate the excellent quality content you are posting here for free for your online readers. thanks peace claudia.