16 July 2011

The Next Step

Woe to me if I should prove myself
but a halfhearted soldier
in the service of
my thorn-crowned Captain.

Saint Fidelis of Sigmarigen


Yesterday, I completed my temporary duty assignment and returned back to my ship to start my second tour, my next two years onboard. It was a big step, with much more significance than simply checking back in and getting my orders stamped!

The opportunity God has given me to return to the same ship for my second tour is truly a blessing. It was an offer that I first rejected--and it took a second opportunity and a blatantly clear manifestation of God's will for me to accept; but all in God's planning, I suppose! I am so renewed and refreshed thanks to the time I was able to spend away from the ship, and am ready to return and continue the good work that God has already begun onboard, particularly in the hearts of my shipmates.

I know my excitement and positive attitude is at the risk of being quickly subdued as I report back and am reminded of the rigors of sea duty and shipboard life. But my confidence rests in God alone, and not in myself--for surely nothing would be accomplished if it was only up to me and my weak heart!

I was blessed to receive a text of the quote above this morning from a dear one. It couldn't have come at a better time. This will be the motto I take with me as I embark upon the next two years--may I never be halfhearted! Please pray for me and for my ship, that God may be glorified here.

2 comments:

Cristina said...

Mals, you've got my prayers! So love!

Laura said...

Mine, too! You inspire me!