28 June 2007

Guam, Mass, and Crossing the Equator

Post-Dated:
31 MAY 2007. One hour after crossing the equator.

What an exciting past couple of days I’ve had. The week started with a very brief port call in Guam on Monday. We spent about five hours at the pier, refueling and getting supplies. I spent that day as a Food Service Assistant, working in the galley, serving “chow” to over 500 sailors and Marines onboard. It was a long day that began at 0445, and I was on my feet all day. It was fun, though, as it game me a good mission and kept me very busy! Guam looked beautiful, a lot like Hawaii. I wish we could have stayed longer!

Tuesday, we did the first flight operations of the cruise. A ship traveling with us is basically a small aircraft carrier, so one of its helicopters was practicing touch-and-go landings on our flight deck. I got to suit up with some of the crewmen and stand about 20 feet away as a CH-46 Sea Knight helicopter (what you might know as a “Chinook”) landed and took off. The wind produced by the rotors just about blew me over!

Wednesday morning we had some heavier seas than we’d seen. During “Quarters” when we all gather in the morning to report in for the day, our Division Senior Chief mentioned that they might be flying over a Catholic chaplain from another ship we are traveling with. Needless to say, I was thrilled! That afternoon, we had a “General Quarters” drill, which basically simulated a missile attack or other casualties on the ship. There are so many steps involved in trying to save the ship is there was ever a fire or flooding!

Flight ops were going on in the middle of the madness of the drill, and among all the calls over the 1MC of casualties, there was a call of ringing the ships bells, then “Commander, United States Navy, arriving.” This is a time-honored tradition in the Navy that when a high-ranking officer boards or departs a ship, the ships bell is rung a certain number of times, and his arrival or departure is announced. I knew it had to be the chaplain landing onboard! Sure enough, just as they were securing the drill, they announced that a Catholic Mass was going to be held in one of the crew lounges. I practically ran there! The chaplain was great, but sadly I cannot remember his name. Under his vestments, he wore a flight suit and combat boots! Mass was very simple and beautiful. After everything was over, the chaplain and his assistants packed up and headed out to the flight deck and the helicopter to move to the next ship. What an incredible call, to be a military chaplain! I don’t think I’ve felt more at home this entire trip than I did in the Mass. The chaplain had good advice in his homily, which I would summarize in this quote from St. Maria Faustina, “I must not let myself become absorbed in the whirl of work, but take a break to look up to Heaven.”

Wednesday night brought the beginning of another time-honored navy tradition, the “Crossing the Line” ceremony, as we would cross the Equator the next day. It started Wednesday evening, then continued early Thursday morning. Feel free to Google it to read more about the tradition. So, after surviving the ceremony and crossing the line, I’m not a proud and honorable “Shellback!” We ended up actually crossing the Equator that afternoon. Kind of a cool thing, my first time in the southern hemisphere!

Thursday, I spent the early evening outside on one of the upper decks, watching the sunset over the Pacific, writing, and thinking of all my family and friends back home. Such wonderful blessings has the Lord bestowed upon me to give me an opportunity and passion to serve in the military, as well as friends and family who support me. Just as the men and women aboard this ship train daily for any and every emergency situation that could present itself, I know I must prepare myself each day to be ready for God to call me to do anything. In the words of St. Maria Faustina, “Do with me as You please. I subject myself to Your will. As of today, Your holy will shall be my nourishment, and I will be faithful to Your commands with the help of Your grace.”

Much love to you all! Ave Maris Stella!


"What is it going to be like in heaven, if already here in exile God so fills my soul."
~St. Maria Faustina

No comments: