28 June 2007

Stars and the Land Down Under

Post-Dated:
10 JUN 2007. Off the Coast of Australia.

What a whirlwind the past few days has been! One night earlier this week, I spent twilight and evening out on one of the weatherdecks watching the stars. The darkness was overwhelming. But, once my eyes got adjusted, I looked up and saw the beauty of literally thousands of stars. Each seemed to have its own aura around it, as if they were candles burning in the sky. And I saw a shooting star! Over the horizon, I watched the moon rise with its orange glow. It was very windy that night. I just sat back against the bulkhead, tilted my head up, gazing towards the Heavens, feeling the nighttime breeze against my face, just taking it all in. That evening reminded me of these lyrics from Christian musicians David Crowder Band:

“Stars” by David Crowder Band

You should see the stars tonight, how they shimmer and shine so bright
Against the black, they look so white, coming down from such a height
To reach me now, reach me now

You should see the moon in flight, cut across a misty night
Softly dancing in sunshine, reflections of its light
Reach me now, they reach me now

You should hear the angels sing, all gathered round our King
More beautiful than you could dream, I’ve been quietly listening
I can hear them now, I hear them now

How could such a King shine His light on me? And make everything beautiful?
Cause I’ve got nothing of my own to give to You
But this light that shines on me, shines on you
And makes everything beautiful again

We pulled into port in Brisbane, Australia in the middle of the week and spent four days in port. It was an incredible adventure! I spent the first two days surfing the beaches of the Gold Coast, about an hour from Brisbane. Several of us Midshipmen stayed at a hostel in the city and met other travelers and backpackers from all over the world. I have experienced over the port visit such incredible facets of the human experience: meeting and interacting with other travelers and sailors and Marines from our ship, experiencing a new country and a new culture, being adventurous and unafraid to try something new, etc. I absolutely love the Australian people, such a positive, warm and welcoming country. I cannot wait to return here for World Youth Day next year!

I’ll now spend the next ten days or so at sea off the coast participating in an amphibious training operation called Talisman Saber with other allied militaries. I’m not exactly sure when I’ll be returning to the States since we are in the middle of this training environment, but it shouldn’t be longer than two more weeks. Today I’ve felt a little homesick, but I received some holy encouragement and am feeling much better. I think of you all everyday and look forward to seeing you all again. Praised be Jesus Christ for keeping us all united in the Mystical Body of Christ!

“How very easy it is to become holy; all that is needed is a bit of good will. If Jesus sees this little bit of good will in the soul, He hurries to give Himself to the soul, and nothing can stop Him, neither shortcomings nor falls—absolutely nothing. Jesus is anxious to help that soul, and if it is faithful to this grace from God, it can very soon attain the highest holiness possible.”
~St. Maria Faustina

No comments: