27 June 2007

My First Thoughts at Sea

Post-dated:
25 MAY 2007. Somewhere in the Pacific.

Asleep in my rack: the only place I have to call my own on the ship. It is my 7ft x 2ft x 1.5ft space where I sleep. Above and below me, other Midshipmen sleep. The next set of racks is only 2 ft away. Fifteen of us share this berthing space, where we sleep, composed only of racks, lockers, and a mirror. My only privacy is a small blue curtain. On the wall by my head, there is a small pin board, where I have holy cards pinned up of Jesus, Our Lady of Guadalupe, Saint Dominic, and Saint Cecilia. In the small book space by my pillow lies my Breviary, my journal, my Bible, St. Maria Faustina’s Divine Mercy in My Soul, St. Josemaria Escriva’s The Way, and of course, my Rosary. I sleep on a thin mattress with a sheet, blanket, and pillow. I’ve got everything I need, and nothing I don’t.

In the middle of the night, it is quiet and cold. Most are asleep, but people are always awake through the night continuing to run the ship and stand watches. I wake up to the sound of the Boatswain’s Pipe whistling over the 1MC (the ship-wide intercom) and the call for reveille at 0600. He pipes several extended times; time to start the day. We all slowly and silently get out of our racks and get into uniform. While underway, we wear a simple uniform of coveralls (kind of like a jumpsuit), a belt, steel-toed boots, and a ballcap. We spend at least an hour a day cleaning our part of the ship. We live in community the whole day; naps or personal time during the day is rare—there is a lot of work to be done. The ship’s bell tolls over the 1MC at noon. The beginning and end of every meal period is announced by the Boatswain’s Pipe over the 1MC, too. The day ends quietly. The ship “goes dark” after sunset, where all white light is turned off and replaced by dim red light in the passageways. Taps occurs at 2200, and the silence begins. This is my day onboard an underway U.S. Navy warship.

All I could think about as I progressed through my first full day at sea was how much life onboard ship is like being at a convent or monastery (minus the religious aspect, of course). My rack is like my cell, containing simple things and only what you need; a place to lay your head. My uniform is like my habit, simple clothes to get our work done. I am awoken, put to sleep, and reminded of important times by the Boatswain’s Pipe or the ships bell, just like the bells that toll at the convent or monastery throughout the day. (Our
noon ship’s bell ringing reminds me to pray the Regina Caeli, and now the Angelus!) We live entirely in community throughout the day, both eating and working. With taps comes our nighttime “Grand Silence” as sailors try to get their rest before rising for another day of work; yet many remain on watch to run the ship, just as those who remain on watch in the convent or monastery with our Lord. We even, to an extent, live the vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience. We embrace a kind of poverty onboard ship: under-elaborate sleeping arrangements, simple meals, plain uniforms, very minimal if any luxuries besides a good book and an iPod, very short “Navy showers” to conserve potable water, being confined to the ship, etc. The chastity aspect is a given. And of course, we live a life of obedience. We follow commands and do our jobs as our superior officers ask of us with no question.

Everyday I’m understanding more and more the path God is laying out for me. What could prepare me better for the convent than to live this life? I will joyously embrace these years of service I have ahead of me in the Navy as incredibly valuable preparation and experience to whatever God asks of me. And if I do end up in the arms of Christ as His bride, all this “training,” this spiritual formation through my naval service, will instill things into me that God wants me to have as a religious.

So for now, I’m following the advice of Saint Francis de Sales, “Bloom where you are planted!”

Embrace your life TODAY for the greater glory of God!!

Ave Maris Stella!


"Bloom where you are planted."
~St. Franics de Sales

1 comment:

RizenAstronaut said...

I love your blogs mal! I couldn't remember the web address for the longest time but i was going to facebook you and saw the link on your profile and voila! here i am. Your love of God is evident in all you do. More and more each day I see His hands holding yours and molding you into the woman He wants you to be. May He bless you and keep you and make His face to shine upon you my sister!